March 25, 2008

Time to upgrade

So chk out the new gear I'm looking at getting. I've been thinking of upgrading my PC these past few months, and now's the best time. And since the decision process is so much fun when looking at new gear, I figured I'd share with ya.

I'm only talking about 4 components here:

-CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB Cache
-CPU cooler Zalman 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
-Motherboard ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35
-Video Card GIGABYTE GV-RX387512H Radeon HD 3870 512MB

For the processor, you can't beat Intel's Q6600 right now. It's fast, affordable, and overclockable as hell. And since the option of OC'ing is now on the table, an aftermarket cpu cooler is a MUST. I went with the Zalman for the CPU cooler, and the highly rated Asus P35 deluxe mobo.

And finally.....with the recent price drops for both Nvidia's 8800GT AND ATI's 3870, (both under $200 now), AND Nvidia's launch of the new 9000 series, i decided to upgrade the vid card as well. Which wasn't easy due to all the new choices/considerations. I've always wanted a 8800GT and the 9600GT is really inticing. But after all my research, the Radeon 3870 sat squarely at the top of my list. Mainly due to the "cost vs performance" factor.

So now it's time to mosey on over to Newegg, and start shopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment