February 24, 2009

Topic of the Day (TOTD)

So this morning on our commute to work, Jill asked me if I thought MJ would ever be regulated the same as tobacco is in our life time. To which I replied how funny she mention that today since I've been hearing snippets of this same question on TV, and the interwebz. And that I no longer feel as optimistic about that happening as I once was in my younger years. But also that anything's possible with the state of our nation nowadays. (and having a sensible administration in office doesn't hurt either)

Anyway. I get home, jump online, check my email, yada-yada...and just a few minutes ago, checked out the day's news, even going so far to scoop the Drudge Report....and I see the following article.

Taxing pot could become a political toking point


Quote:
Reporting from Sacramento -- Could Cannabis sativa be a salvation for California's fiscal misfortunes? Can the state get a better budget grip by taxing what some folks toke?

An assemblyman from San Francisco announced legislation Monday to do just that: make California the first state in the nation to tax and regulate recreational marijuana in the same manner as alcohol.
Via LA Times

Wow. It's so refreshing to hear commen sense legislation for a change. I don't care what anyone says. It makes absolutely NO SENSE to have something such as TOBACCO, which is one of the leading killers of American's today, regulated and readily available for personal use if one wishes. NONE!!!

Listen. No one is saying this is a perfect solution. Or that MJ doesn't have ANY consequential factors to consider. But just like alcohol and tobacco, the choice to either use or ignore MJ should be left up to each individual.

NOT A GOVERNMENT!

So, there's my thoughts. Let me know yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment